Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Where was G-d? Everywhere!

In my World War II class today, we saw a documentary on the Holocaust. 'Nuff said. It was rather painful, but thought-provoking. Two of the people interviewed wondered where G-d was and why He didn't listen to the cries of the prisoners. I just want to venture a reply. I do not have the audacity to claim that I know what G-d thoughts are, but I DO know that they are always good and for the good of His Children. So where was He, you ask? With the Allied soldiers, helping them win the war so that they COULD save the survivors from the camps. If Hashem hadn't intervened, perhaps the Nazis C"V could have won, I don't know. But He did, the camps were liberated, and the main perpetrators of the evil were punished.

So why did it take so long? I don't know. Maybe it was supposed to be longer and the time was shortened because of our cries and His mercy. Maybe certain things had to happen in the order that they did for reasons that will later become clear. Like I said, I don't presume to know Hashem's reasons for what happens. But we say ברוך דין האמת when bad happens precisely because we know that what He does IS for the good.

Just a thought.

3 comments:

Keren Perles said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Keren Perles said...

I really DID post a long long comment here last night. Really I did. Really. But then blogger did something weird...and ain li savlanut to write it all over again...

Oh, btw, how do you put that bar on the side of your homepage with links to everyone else's blogs on 'em? I know, I know, I'm the computer minor, but I couldn't figure it out....

I love your kanaus though!

TRW said...

There are some aspects of Communism that are very commendable, and even make a lot of sense (see the kibutz system in Israel, which has some very commendable aspects-but is in no way perfect..)
My grandfather was saved from the Nazis because he was sent to Siberia instead for being Jewish. Was that good? I think he would have been better off in America or somewhere else, but it is true that Siberia was not quite in the path of the Nazis..
So I'm not so sure what you mean about freedom of religion. From what I understand, religion was illegal behind the Iron Curtain-opium of the masses and all that.