Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Joys of History (or not)

Okay. Maybe I'm a kana'i (zealot). Or maybe it's just that I know that I...no, WE are right, and they're wrong. I am fuming. Here's why:

The Quest of the Holy Grail (Penguin Edition)
p. 64-Discussing symbolism of a dead body...
"The tomb signifies the heardheartedness of the Jews, while the body represents the death of them and their seed in that mortal sin whose shackles proved so hard to loose..."

p. 122-Explaining a vision with a woman riding a serpent...
"The lady whom you saw astride the serpent, she is the Synagogue, the first Law, that was put aside as soon as JC had introduced the New. The serpent that carries her denotes the Scriptures wrongly understood and misconstrued; it is hyposcrisy and heresy, iniquity and mortal sin, it is the enemy himself [Read: Satan]"

And I'm only up to page 134. You wonder why there were pogroms, book-burnings, debates, absolute massacre? This is a book that's in the category of "vernacular literature," i.e. the books that the people read! (At least those who could read...)

1 comment:

Keren Perles said...

Oy.

That's all I can say.

But do you have to read this stuff?