Sunday, January 09, 2005

Lessons at the gym

I joined a gym here in my new abode-it's convenient, I desperately need it, and I have lotsa time on my hands (well...before I started school). When I went to the treadmill the other day to start my "cardio" workout, there was a magazine on the machine already. With my walkman doing strange things, I decided to read it during my mechanized walk (which is so silly...the great outdoors is such a nicer place to walk...). Now, I haven't picked up a magazine like that in years, so perhaps it struck me more strongly now than it might have before.
Um...I was just kinda shocked. This was a thick magazine, full of articles about...clothing, celebrities scandalous lives, clothing, a special on a brothel in Vegas that people're trying to make into a museum, and more clothing.
HUH? Is that it? Is that life? People, THINK!! There is so much substance out there! Focus on reality!! Lasting, eternal things!! (Y'all know I have my own take on what's eternal and lasting, but I suppose you don't have to be an Orthodox Jew to have meaning in your life...well...maybe ;) )
And that's my thought for the week.

6 comments:

Keren Perles said...

And suddenly the importance of the alleged "typos" and "lack of talent" in frum magazines seems to fade away...

No?

tinablue87 said...

Hi dear! Just thought I would say hello and wish you good luck as you start classes. Instead of reading magazines, you should get into the Lemony Snicket series of books. They are just wonderful!!

TRW said...

No yoga in the end..I procrastinated tooo late. I'm sore, though, which I guess is a good thing ;)

Keren Perles said...

That's okay. Yoga gets me nervous...Too much "reaching for the ball of light" type of thing.

Sara, why can't I view your blog? Lost your URL :(

TRW said...

Were you in my class with Mrs. J. and the purple light story? ;)

Keren Perles said...

Yes'm. But that's not where I got it from. I did it at CTY for a week once, remember? It was the weirdest thing...Although I guess if there are other frum people there, it won't get quite as...uh...awkward as it did at mine...