Sunday, August 15, 2004

Chachma Bagoyim Ta'amin

Two reasons for the title:
1. I'm reading this book, Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews: A History. It's fascinating-written by a former Catholic priest who believes in the concept of Jesus, but not in the New Testiment. He says that the New Testament was written by people who were trying to kiss up to the Romans, but had to knock someone, so knocked the Jews. It's a thoroughly researched book, and has much more credibility than a lot of history books I've read before (and yes, I have read quite a few...for pleasure ;) ), but over 700 pages...so that'll be my summer reading (unless HP6 comes out!). What's so fascinating is that he's really religious...but I'm not sure what his credo is exactly (course, I'm only on about page 120, so I'll let you know if anything changes)
2. The musical Wicked not only is 99% clean, but has a wonderful message about benefit of the doubt and how things can be totally oppostie how they seem. There's also this beautiful song at the end-For Good. It's all about friendship and how friends can impact people's lives. So to all my friends I say:

Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder, halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

Like a ship pulled from its moorings by a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird in a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better,
But because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

My favorite line? "You'll be with me, like a handprint on my heart.." B"H I have quite a few handprints on my heart!! (Especially the purple one...)

1 comment:

Keren Perles said...

oh oh oh my favorite!!!!! Dear,
"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are lead to those
Who will help us most to grow
If we let them...
I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...!"